Bikram Yoga Basics
These are Bikram’s guidelines for Bikram's affiliated studios and the principles for all authorized BYCIs worldwide.
• CARPET is the ONLY approved flooring. NO OTHER FLOORING is currently approved including rubber, PVC, cork, wood, etc.
• MIRRORS on front wall. (Two or three walls are RECOMMENDED; three walls are ideal.)
• TEMPERATURE: 105f DEGREE HEAT / 40% HUMIDITY. (Temperature can be adjusted for extremes in humidity; LOW humidity + HIGHER temperature; HIGH humidity + LOWER temperature)
• ONLY BIKRAM CERTIFIED TEACHERS used as instructors.
• ONLY BIKRAM'S BEGINNING YOGA CLASS of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. No other styles of yoga (power, flow, etc.), Pilates, martial arts, silent classes, children’s classes, pre-natal, music, or candlelight classes.
• ONLY BIKRAM'S BEGINNING YOGA CLASS DIALOGUE used. (Most Current Version.)
• All classes are 90 MINUTES LONG.
• NO PHYSICAL, HANDS ON CORRECTIONS or adjustments of students (with the exception of Bikram!).
• NO ADVANCED POSTURES in the Beginning Series.
• BRIGHT / FULL LIGHTING throughout class. (Lights dimmed only after Final Savasana)
• Water allowed during class. Bikram suggests the 1ST water break take place after Eagle Pose, and then water as needed
• Hand towels optional. (not be used as a crutch or security blanket)
• Students are encouraged to STAY IN THE ROOM for the entire class. The key to Bikram’s beginning series is the sequence of the postures. Therefore the benefits of the class will only be fully realized by complete participation. Teachers should check on students who need to leave the room.
• 20 second Savasanas during the floor series. There is no "Standing Savasana".
• Teachers to teach from the podium at the FRONT of the room. No teaching from the back of the room; teachers to stand while teaching the class.
• Wireless headsets are RECOMMENDED for all studios. It is easier for students to hear the dialogue; it also saves wear and tear on the teacher’s vocal chords.
• DO NOT TURN MATS at any point during class.
• Final Savasana is the most important savasana of class;it is not optional. This is where the body can reap the rewards of the entire class.
• Music allowed ONLY after class.
• Clapping is not encouraged at the end of class (with the exception of spontaneous recognition of new students!)
• Studios owned EXCLUSIVELY by Bikram certified teachers. (No investors.)
• STAND ALONE FACILITY: no shared reception or locker rooms. Any adjacent establishment must retain a separate entrance.
• The only APPROVED amenities allowed include: retail, massage, sauna, and juice bar. No other healing arts, chiropractic, etc.
• Seminars/posture clinics given only by SENIOR TEACHERS APPROVED BY BIKRAM.
• No Bikram Yoga retreats are to be offered by studio owners or any teacher
• SHOWERS are mandatory. (Current Guidelines)
• 3000 SQUARE FEET total minimum. (Current Guidelines)
• Yoga Studio ideally to have a 3 to 1 ratio
• Studios to use the name Bikram Yoga or Bikram Yoga College of India.
• Advanced class taught ONLY at Headquarters in Los Angeles by Bikram and Emmy. Outside of LA, advanced class to be practiced only by TEACHERS with NO INSTRUCTION. NO TEACHERS have been trained or authorized to teach the advanced series
•It is HIGHLY RECCOMENDED that Studio Owners & Teachers refrain from romantic relationships with students & others within their BYCI community.
•Teachers are to conduct themselves in accordance with the code of ethics and their teaching training agreement.
•In addition, all studio owners are to operate in accordance with their affiliation agreement.
•As Bikram says…
“99% right is 100% wrong”.
“Try the right way and eventually you will make it”
“Lock the knee, Lock the knee, Lock the knee!!!”